Early morning fire causes much damage and alarm
A major fire broke out in a garage in the Schwamendingen area of the city on Monday morning, causing much damage and alarm, not least on account of the huge plume of smoke which was visible from miles around.
Some people even feared an aeroplane crash but fortunately no-one was injured in the conflagration.
One witness said he heard a loud noise followed by an explosion. The emergency services were soon on the scene at a garage at 106 Schwamendingerstrasse in the city's District 11.
It appears the explosion happened in the spraying area of the garage where there were bottles of gas as well as cars. As mentioned, no one was injured but damage to the extent of several hundreds of thousands of francs was caused. The fire brigade had to deal with various seats of fire and a ceiling within the garage collapsed but they soon had the situation under control, which meant that fortunately the fire did not reach the area of the nearby petrol station. Not unexpectedly the incident caused considerable traffic congestion in the area.
At the time of writing the cause of the fire had not been ascertained but the investigation continues.